Visitor Policies & Safety Protocols
We look forward to welcoming you to Japan Society! It is our mission to provide a safe and secure environment for all of our valued patrons. Below are some guidelines to help you plan your visit.
Japan Society strongly encourages everyone entering the building to be up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccines, including any boosters for which they are eligible. As of August 15, 2022, proof of vaccination and booster will no longer be checked at the door for Japan Society programs.
All attendees should read and adhere to the following guidelines:
Before Your Visit
If you feel unwell, or think you may have been exposed to COVID-19 prior to your visit, please stay home and contact our Box Office during regular business hours, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm: [email protected] or 212-715-1258.
Japan Society retains the right to close at its discretion. If Japan Society closes on the day or time of your visit following your ticket purchase, we will alert you and issue an automatic refund.
Masks are required at all times for all seated ticketed events and Gallery admission. Masks with vents/bandanas are not permitted. Respirator-style masks (N95, KN95, KF94, etc.) are encouraged. A mask can be provided if you do not have one.
Gallery capacity will be limited by timed ticketing to allow guests to distance as much as possible. We encourage you to purchase your tickets online in advance.
During Your Visit
For the safety of all within our building, we reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone who declines to wear a mask. Failure to comply with these policies while visiting Japan Society may result in your removal from the premises without a refund.
You affirm that within the last 10 days you have not:
- Tested positive for COVID-19
- Had any symptoms associated with COVID-19
- Been exposed to anyone who has tested positive or is showing symptoms
If 5 days have passed since your initial positive test, onset of symptoms, or known exposure:
- AND you are currently testing negative (home/rapid test ok)
- AND you currently have no symptoms
Then you may enter Japan Society as long as you remain masked at all times. Otherwise you must wait until 10 days have passed from initial onset of symptoms or first positive test to enter the building.
By entering Japan Society, you agree to abide by the following policies:
- Wear a properly fitting mask at all times except when eating or drinking (masks with vents/bandanas are not permitted. Respirator-style masks are encouraged)
- Maintain distance from other Gallery exhibition guests as much as possible
- Leave the building if you are feeling sick
- Wash or disinfect your hands frequently
- Follow all staff instructions
- Notify Japan Society ([email protected]) or (212) 715-1258) if you develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of the event
- Acknowledge that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and other infectious conditions exists in any public space where people are present. Those visiting Japan Society do so at their own risk