14th Annual Contemporary Dance Showcase
Japan + East Asia
One of the most anticipated dance programs in New York! This year’s lineup includes:
● Tokyo choreographer Ryohei Kondo, founder of the popular all-male dance group Condors, performing with a select group of young dancers in the high-octane Goats Block the Road, Part III: Goat Stampede, with live music by J-pop musician Miu Sakamoto, daughter of famed composer Ryuichi Sakamoto;
● Award-winning dancer/choreographer Maki Morishita, with her mischievous solo Tokyo Flat. Morishita has danced for Kim Itoh and Tsuyoshi Shirai and has performed internationally in more than seven countries and 20 cities since her 2003 solo debut;
● Seoul’s Ahn Ae-soon Dance Company performing Bul-ssang, a satiric take on Buddhist rituals fusing several forms of Asian traditional dance – including Indian kathak, Korean Jindo drum dancing and Chinese martial arts – with pop and street styles. Ahn Ae-Soon is the grand prize-winner of Les Rencontres Choreographiques de Seine-Saint-Denis;
● From Taiwan, an endearingly oddball and intimate male-female duet, From Here… to the End of the Rainbow, by choreographer Yu Yen-Fang, participating choreographer in the Bates Dance Festival and the American Dance Festival and collaborator of Bebe Miller Company.
$23 / $20 Japan Society members
APAP Presenters please call (212) 715-1276 or email [email protected] for industry reservation. Tickets are not guaranteed until confirmed.
Buy Tickets Online or call the Japan Society Box Office at (212) 715-1258, Mon. – Fri. 11 am – 6 pm, Weekends 11 am – 5 pm.
- Saturday, January 8, 2011
- 7:30 pm